A Parent’s Voice (Useful insights and tips for parents by parents)

Recently, we introduced “A Parent’s Voice” a new section within our Newsletter to allow parents to share ideas and thoughts regarding parenting and how they are managing the challenges present during the Covid restrictions. Last newsletter, Kylie, a parent of two, shared some wonderful and very powerful insights and has again, kindly provided her thoughts regarding “Motivation”, which is a mighty challenge for all of us during the lockdown. She has offered some great suggestions here, which are thought provoking and truly worth your consideration.

Just like Kylie, we would love and truly encourage for all parents to share their experiences, insights or tips with the wider Penola parent community, regarding how you too are surviving the challenges of Covid-19 lockdown and remote learning.

If you would like to share your thoughts or any tips that you think might be helpful for other parents, please email them into me at rdullard@penola.vic.edu.au and I will have them published in future newsletters.

A massive thankyou to Kylie for providing the second of our A Parent’s Voice articles.

‘Where is my motivation?’

I always felt like I was a highly motivated person.  During the COVID 19, I am finding that my motivation and enthusiasm for what I used to like doing has gone.  I know that there are many things that we can’t go out and do, but there are many things that I have at home to keep myself more than occupied during the lockdown restrictions.

Thanks to my work, I started taking Life Coaching Lessons to try and get my motivation back.  After a couple of sessions of talking and thinking, we set about plans for natural motivation to occur.

The thinking behind natural motivation is that you intentionally start a process that then becomes naturally imbedded in your life.  You do not have to make big plans for every day, just one task a day.  It does not have to be a big task, small tasks can achieve amazing results.

Do not get down on yourself if you don’t do a planned task on a particular day.  These tasks are in addition to what you would normally do in a day.  Many factors can also contribute to why you don’t do something; rain, other people’s moods, other urgent tasks that pop up.  Its life, things happen.

I am lucky enough to be in a work environment that shares a lot of information on what is available in the community and for the community.  YMCA offers online content that is aimed at a range of age groups.  It is called Virtual Y and is a great source for Youth too, having a section aimed at Youth’s.  The link to Virtual Y is https://virtualy.ymca.org.au/

I was also sent a link to a wonderful news article that have some poignant comments that I found on point during COVID 19 and what we may change in our lives, when we return to lesser restrictions.  Please note that this news article contains a profanity.  The link to the article is: https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/aug/09/from-the-wreck-of-the-pandemic-we-can-salvage-and-resurrect-an-inner-life

Don’t be afraid to seek help.  There is plenty of help on offer in our communities.

Kylie, parent of 2.